Saturday, November 22, 2008

judgement

I try hard to keep an open mind in fairness, kindness, and in want of self-improvement. I don't even know where to begin my thoughts now.
I had a conversation tonight that broke my heart. It's good to know, that while I think I'm growing, and recognize that I am a work in progress, not everyone sees it that way.
While I put strong weight on the perception of me by others, the question now becomes: do I continue to be what I am and simply publish a more carefully edited version, or do I try to become more what other people want me to be?

3 comments:

eireann said...

i wonder if you need to keep those people in your life who don't recognize that you are growing (and even if you aren't growing, that you are trying). i know sometimes it is not always possible to cut those people out of one's life completely - but like an insect runs away from dangerous, unpleasant things, maybe we could keep people like that and contact with them to a minimum.

personally, i'd rather you continue to be what you are without the editing and not just what others want you to be. but i could be biased.

Kelly said...

I'm going to second that, and say that you are one of the most fun/funny, sweet and wonderful people I know. I can't imagine someone not enjoying you for you.

I think you should just be yourself. If there are things that you want to work on as a person, that's one thing, but working on yourself for others is the wrong idea.

jen said...

boo on edited ... with the people who you love and trust. some editing may be required in certain situations and with certain people. not that it make its right but one of the realities of living in a broken world where people are selfish, fearful and in need of judging others.