Monday, September 8, 2008

Autumn blew the quilt right off the perfect bed she made.

I've been called "different" by several boys on multiple occasions lately, and it's piqued some thought in me. Phrases have included "intriguing," "a-typical," "not-cookie cutter," and the ever unifying word "different." It occurred to me earlier this summer how interesting it is that so few years ago we aimed for homogeny, being like everyone else, fitting in while now we strive for the opposite, to be unique, noticeable, distinct; I drive at my own created style and signature touch.
Even tho it has been my unrealized goal to be different, my inability to attract or retain a boys attention, and the recent comments on my being "different" begs the question of is different an attractive quality or a hindrance to getting a date? Where is the line drawn between different-attractive and different-weird? Also, if I'm so different, why do I attract the same type of boys?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Well, I'm not a boy-but it think you're AWESOME-different

Court said...

why do you assume that since your past relationships have been rocky, there must be some deficit in the essence of who you are? Own the parts of the rocky-ness that were yours, then pack it up and move on... The fact that you do not yet have a husband at this moment is not a reflection of what you lack.

Also, one of the most likable things about you is that you are unapologetically "you" (i.e. "impossibly kick-ass")

x's and o's...

eireann said...

courtney is right. i love that you are unapologetically you. i envy that about you; i wish i was like that myself. i am also in the kelly camp, i think you're pretty awesome-different too. and yes, bring your bikini.