Monday, April 6, 2009

Don't Cry Over Spilt Wine, Part ONE: (the boring set-up)

6:10pm Saturday night: arrive home from work via Cable with Ali, and have only 20 minutes to change and become fabulous (without having shopped for over 40 days) for dinner with nine gorgeous girls at Luella, followed by a night of dancing and cocktails at Le Colonial to celebrate Ali's 26th Birthday. Also vying for time in that 20 minutes is changing the sheets on my bed, which desperately need refreshing, a swift clean-up, and planning something brunch-ish to take to the next morning's book club meeting (this was originally make, or at least prep, a spinach quiche when I was planning on leaving work at 4:45 instead of 5:45). Get it started by pouring a tall glass of red wine to make the evening stay within my ever tightening budget, amongst a group of people without one.

Quick clean, begin stripping the bed. Duvet one over and off; duvet two toss (FLING?) too hard and mentally gasp as I see it cover the front top of my desk and pull things onto the floor, in slow-motion as I realize my glass of red wine, barely sipped from, is caught under the cream duvet, and has been spilled all over the carpet and soaking both duvets. EFF. eff. eff. eff.

There goes my twenty minutes, and any hope I had of puting on some makeup. Luckily I'm great in an emergency, and I immediately run to the kitchen and grab a dish towell and my carton of salt, mop up as much of the wine as I can, and pour the entire remaining contents of the salt onto the spot(s). Even luckier, Ali calls and also found it impossible to be ready in 20 mins, thank goodness for cabs, no thank goodness for 7pm reservations. I throw on my clothes, which incredibly looks as okay on as the idea did in my head, add a little makeup and grab (stupidly wrong, look awesome, after only two hours felt awful, so much that walking home even BAREFOOT, at the end of my night, hurt like heck) shoes and run outside to meet the girls' cab. Ready in five minutes, forget about the wine that just wrecked the carpet, two down comfortors, two duvets and my $800 deposit.

No comments: